Thursday, October 24, 2013

News article writing sample



Student robbed in parking garage
By Felisha Bull
Texas State University student

A female Texas State student was robbed last Tuesday when her backpack was stolen while walking through the Alkek Parking Garage.

According to the university police report she called 911 at approximately 8:13 p.m. to report the incident.  The 19 year-old female student was walking alone back to San Jacinto Hall after leaving a study session at the library when a man on a bike pushed her down and grabbed her backpack.

“I didn’t even have time to react,” she said.  “One minute I was walking to my dorm and the next minute I was on the ground.”  The victim attributes her vulnerability to exhaustion and lack of attention.  “I was tired and I guess I was just zoning,” she said

The victim was robbed of more than $400 worth of items including textbooks, cash, and credit cards the police report said.  This is the fourth robbery reported since the beginning of this semester police said.

University police department Chief Ralph Meyer assures students that steps are being taken to catch the perpetrator.  He has implemented a task force and has added more officers to patrol vulnerable campus areas.

 “It is best to travel in groups and to remain alert,” Meyer said.  “If you must travel alone, remember that the Bobcat Bobbies service is available for your safety.”

University police said the suspect is wanted for questioning in regards to the three other robberies reported this semester, but no arrests have currently been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment